Monday, March 29, 2021

ARC Review: Undercover by Eliot Grayson

Title: Undercover 

Series: (Vinos and Veritas #4) 
Author: Eliot Grayson
Publisher: Heart Eyes Press 
Release Date: March 29, 2021


Gabe wants Alec between the sheets…too bad Alec’s undercover already…

Rich kid. Party boy. Gabe is tired of the labels. He’s a smart guy, but ever since he got kicked out of grad school, people are only interested in his no-limit credit card and his pierced ears…and other places.

Tall, dark and scowling Alec hates Vermont, with its artisanal-freaking-everything and its irritating people. To be fair, most people irritate Alec, including the FBI director who sent him here to investigate a smuggling scheme involving yoga mats.

When one of the cutest twinks Alec’s ever seen takes an interest, Alec knows there’s an ulterior motive. No one with multi-colored hair, piercings, and an ass like that would want boring, serious Alec. The kid must be up to no good. Either way, Alec can’t blow his cover. If only he could keep his hands off of Gabe long enough to find out what he’s up to…

Can they ignore their explosive chemistry long enough to foil a smuggling ring? Or will their budding relationship sink faster than a yacht full of contraband?

Review: 

Starting off with this one by saying while it was ok, I had a hard time getting into the story. While this is my first book by Eliot Grayson I was excited to dive in to a brand new to me author. However after the first few pages I knew this either wasn't the right time for this story or just not my style. 

I did really like the characters of Gabe and Alec though. Gabe just wanting to prove that he is more than just some rich kid and it was sweet to watch him go after Alec. As for broody Alec, he was the one of the main elements that made me want to see how the story would go. Seeing Alec falling for Gabe as we progressed had me hoping for more but that isn't to say I didn't have issues with them being together. 

The mystery elements tend to be hit or miss for me and with everything going on in Undercover, the mystery was a miss. I knew going into this it would have some elements of mystery with Alec being undercover and that meant not being able to tell Gabe the truth right away.  Given Gabe's issues with trusting people just kind of turned me off from it because of the inevitable fall out that would occur. Also with Gabe's issues I felt that they weren't taken as seriously as they should have been. Going from there once the fall out occurred it felt so rushed on fixing everything and making everything right again. 

I may try this one again in the future and see if it plays out better for me than the first time but as of right now, I find myself giving this a: 

3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment